how to convert yards to tons

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

how to convert yards to tons

Postby eddy4992003 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:35 am

im trying to convert 5375 yards of asphalt to tone
eddy4992003

Re: how to convert yards to tons

Postby Ken Chevy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:49 pm

eddy4992003 wrote:im trying to convert 5375 yards of asphalt to tone

If that is cubic yards, then 5,375 cubic yards = 4,109 cubic meters and 1 (one) cubic meter = Asphalt, crushed 721 kg

4109 x 721 = 2962.6 metric tons or 3266 tons or 2916 long tons or 6,531,390.7286 pounds.

Per: http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm
Ken Chevy
competent

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:16 pm

um, I might be wrong on this, but is this accurate?...I was under the impression that 1 Cubic yard of asphalt roughly weighed 1.7 tons. By your conversion 1 Cubic Yard weighs less than a Ton.

Postby Ken Chevy » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:40 am

Anonymous wrote:um, I might be wrong on this, but is this accurate?...I was under the impression that 1 Cubic yard of asphalt roughly weighed 1.7 tons. By your conversion 1 Cubic Yard weighs less than a Ton.

Not my conversion. This website:

Per: http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm

but yes, it does seem "light" at about 1500 lbs doesn't it. hummm, they "could" maybe be wrong? :) Research time.
Ken Chevy
competent

Yards to tons

Postby Jens » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:03 pm

Uhmmm......

That depends (my favorite answer!!)

on the specific asphalt.

The stuff I see put on taxiways weighs approx 1.9 Tons/cu.yd. The road grade weighs less and the cheap junk they sometimes throw on driveways weighs even less than that.

Jens
Jens

Postby Dirtman » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:56 pm

Yep, it depends . . .

The weight of asphalt varies, so there is no ‘one weight fits all’ answer. It depends on the mix design. (aggregate, asphalt binder, ratio of asphalt binder to aggregate, specific gravity, etc).

As a broad rule of thumb, you can use a factor of 2.0250 to convert cubic yards of hot mix asphalt (a catch-all phrase) to tons. 5375 compacted cubic yards of asphalt will weigh approximately 10,884 tons.

Note that the cubic yards is compacted, not loose.
Dirtman

cubic yards to tons

Postby DeAnn » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:16 pm

I have an area we want to fill with crushed mixed base. I'm told the area measures 32.4 cubic yards. How many tons of CMB would that be? Do you know how many tons a smaller rental dump truck would hold and how many trips it will take to fill the area?
DeAnn

Re: cubic yards to tons

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:37 am

DeAnn wrote:I have an area we want to fill with crushed mixed base. I'm told the area measures 32.4 cubic yards. How many tons of CMB would that be? Do you know how many tons a smaller rental dump truck would hold and how many trips it will take to fill the area?

Hi
You can probably figure about 1.5 tons per cubic yard. Check with the supplier. A small single axle dump truck can haul about 5 tons. You can do the math.
Good luck
John
alfadog
white trash philosophizer

convert yards to tons

Postby Jerry.ditmyer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:58 am

I am looking to convert 167 yards to tons
Jerry.ditmyer

Re: convert yards to tons

Postby Dirtman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:44 am

Jerry.ditmyer wrote:I am looking to convert 167 yards to tons

167 CCY * 2.025 = approximately 338 tons of HMA (hot mix asphalt). To get a closer figure, check with the HMA plant that will deliver the mix.
Dirtman
Expert

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:01 am

I MT of asphalt will cover 18 S.Y. (162 s.f) of area of 1 inch thick asphalt

Calculate your area in s.f, convert it into square yards
Divide the total S.Y by 18 ( or s.f by 162)
Multiply this value by the thickness of asphalt in inches to get the total MT of asphalt required.

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions