Sand Coversion

Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Sand Coversion

Postby AinSC » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:39 pm

We are buying a swimming pool. We have to order masonry sand. I was told to order 3.5 tons. When I called for prices they gave me rates based on square yards. How do I figure out how many square yards are in 3.5 ton?

Thanks for the help....I have looked at about 6 different websites and cannot narrow down the answer.

Thanks!!!!
AinSC

Postby Dirtman » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:07 am

Sand is usually sold by the ton, sometimes by cubic yard if they don't have a scale. The S&G (sand and gravel) pit you called probably doesn't have scale. However, a S&G pit shouldn't give you a "square yard" quote unless that can give you a depth the square yardage is based on. If they can't do that, buy from someone else.

Sand weighs from 2400 to 3100 pounds per loose cubic yard, dependent (for the most part) on moisture content. Because the sand will be compacted under the weight of the water in the pool, I would use a weight of 2970 pounds per cubic yard as a base, or 1.485 tons per cubic yard.

Be sure you get masonry sand as it has no gravel, which could create a hole in the pool liner.

There is a web site on pools with a sand volume chart you may be interested in here: http://www.backyardcitypools.com/swimmi ... -Chart.htm
Dirtman
Expert

Re: Sand Coversion

Postby Herschel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:45 pm

A loose cubic yard of masonary weighs approximately 1.485 tons. 4.5 yards would be multiplied by 1.485 for a total of 6.825 tons. I'd round to 7 tons just to be on the safe side. You can also buy it in hundred pound bags at your local lumber or building materials supplier. 2000lbs X 1.485/100 = 30 bags per cubic yard X 4.5 yds = 135 bags. It would be cost prohibitive to buy it this way, compared to loose sand delivered. Hope this helps.
Herschel

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Other math problems

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions