required cooling tonage per KW

Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

required cooling tonage per KW

Postby brian r » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:26 pm

I work in datacenters, and racks are now housing from 15-25kw of power draw. Is there a ratio that shows tons of cooling required per kw that suits this example?? :?
brian r

Re: required cooling tonage per KW

Postby hbell » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 am

kW of power draw of IT equipment is equal to the heat produced from the equipment, so in your example the heat load is 15 - 25 kW of heat.
kW x .283 = T of cooling, or 1T = 3.53 kW of cooling.
So, 15 - 25 kw of heat load is about 4.24 - 7.07 T of cooling.

Some data center cooling systems are now beginning to list their capacities in terms of kW for the very reason you give.
Even ASHRAE, the industry organization which sets the most widely accepted guidelines for data center cooling, uses kW often to define cooling capacities.
I believe you will find their website useful.
hbell

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Other math problems

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions