Calculate area (sq ft) of 6" diameter pipe (lf)

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Calculate area (sq ft) of 6" diameter pipe (lf)

Postby bolstadt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:25 pm

I've tried searching for the formula to calculate how many square feet of insulation there are in a linear foot of 6" diameter pipe but I'm not having any luck.

So if someone can give me the formula here is the basic problem:

240 LF of 6" Diameter pipe = how many Square feet of surface area (OD area)?

Thanks for any help!

Tony
bolstadt

Re: Calculate area (sq ft) of 6" diameter pipe (lf)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:50 am

bolstadt wrote:I've tried searching for the formula to calculate how many square feet of insulation there are in a linear foot of 6" diameter pipe but I'm not having any luck.

So if someone can give me the formula here is the basic problem:

240 LF of 6" Diameter pipe = how many Square feet of surface area (OD area)?

Thanks for any help!

Tony

The insulation will build up the thickness of the pipe, so add twice the thickness to the diameter, if 1" insulation, use D = 8" for example. The circumerference is pi*D, 3.14*8 in the example or 25.1". There are 12in/ft, so 2.1 feet. Since it is 240' long, you need 240' x 2.1' = 504 ft²

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:57 am

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. Seems so obvious now - just couldn't come up with the D * pi to get circumference.

Tony

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Calculating things

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions