sq ft for an irregular shape

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

sq ft for an irregular shape

Postby sumer » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:09 am

how would i find sq ft for an irregularly shaped lot that is 106.58x9.91x78.4x43.52?
sumer

Postby Dirtman » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:37 am

Sumer:

The easiest way is to get a survey plot of the property, which should have the acreage on it. Multiplying the acreage by 43,560 will give you the square footage. If it doesn't show the acreage, we can calculate the area by using the bearings and distances of each leg (sides) of the property.

If you're dealing with a realtor, ask them about furnishing you a copy of a past survey. Otherwise, you can get a copy at the county clerk's office in the county where the property is located.

Another way is to have the diagonal distance between two corners, effectively creating two triangles. Then, using a formula called "Heron's formula", you can calulate the area of each triangle and add them together.

Reply if you need more help.

George
Dirtman
Expert

how do i find

Postby sumer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:44 pm

i have the sureyers measurements but he doesnt talk about sq ft or acerage or anything the city litst the sq ft as 1940.2 sq ft the assessor says its 2,439.4 sq ft and the designer says its 2,448 sq ft as you can see there are some considerable differences in the sq footage and since i have to file papers with the city about this property i need to know which i s actually correct the property is one straight line with the 106 measure ment another with the 7.71 measurement a slightly angled line with the 78 measurement and the 43 measurement is a curved line i know that if we go with the designers measurements which are on the plot plan that we are going to get called for it by the city and like i said i am trying to find out the accurate sq ft
sumer

Postby Dirtman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:56 am

Hi Sumer:

I don't understand why three different entities come up with three different answers.

I can calculate the square footage for you but what I come up with will not be legal. You will need a legal document for the city.

Considering you have the survey of the property in question, call the surveyor of record (name, address and phone number on the survey document) and ask that they calculate the square footage of your property. There should be no charge for this as you already paid for the survey.

Something I didn't say on my email. I am assuming you have a boundary survey. If you don't have a boundary survey, you will need to get a boundary survey done before you can prove square feet.

George
Dirtman
Expert

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Calculating things

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions