reg cbm measurement... for cargo shipping

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

reg cbm measurement... for cargo shipping

Postby Mr. kay » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:22 pm

Can some one please tell me how to measure cbm??? used for box sizes in inches as well as cms??? For eg what would be the cbm of box sized in L=24 W=36, H=24. in cms... how would i figure out the cbm to this...
Mr. kay

Re: reg cbm measurement... for cargo shipping

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:34 pm

Mr. kay wrote:Can some one please tell me how to measure cbm??? used for box sizes in inches as well as cms??? For eg what would be the cbm of box sized in L=24 W=36, H=24. in cms... how would i figure out the cbm to this...

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:23 am

Mr. kay wrote:Can some one please tell me how to measure cbm??? used for box sizes in inches as well as cms??? For eg what would be the cbm of box sized in L=24 W=36, H=24. in cms... how would i figure out the cbm to this...

If those measurements are centimeters, divide each by 100 to get meters, 0.24 m x0.36 m x 0.24 m. Multiple together to get 0.02074 m^3, If you have a bunch of boxes of this size, multiply by the number of boxes to get cbm for the shipment.

It's really better to measure in meters or centimeters. If you have inches, 1" = 0.0254 m (exactly) so convert, then proceed as above.

Postby dcbombaycity@gmail.com » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:10 pm

how is calcultion CBM in kg(Waite)
dcbombaycity@gmail.com

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:33 pm

dcbombaycity@gmail.com wrote:how is calcultion CBM in kg(Waite)

Shipping services actually have a dual rate, they charge by either volume or weight, whichever is higher. Different shipping options have different "trip points" where they change from volume to weight. I copied this from an airfreight web page (but other shipping options are at bottom of page):
Weight/Volume Ratio

How is airfreight calculated?
Prices (airfreight rates) are always quoted per kg/6dm3. It can also be called the volume ratio 1 : 6 or 1m3 = 167,- kg. That means you either pay for the weight or the space necessary for the transport of your consignment.

The calcuation is based on the following equation regardless of whether you«re paying for the weight or the space:

Length (cm) x width (cm) x height (cm) / 6000 (equals the volume weight in kg)

Example 1
You are sending 1 crate weighing 80 kg and the dimensions of the crate are 50x 50 x 50. As the actual weight of 80kg is higher than the volume weight (20.83kg) the 80 kg are calculated as the freight weight.

You multiply:
50 x 50 x 50 cm = 125,000 cm3
You divide: 125,000cm3 by 6000 = 20.83 kg volume weight

Example 2
You are sending 8 boxes with a total weight of 45 kg. All the boxes are the same size (each box is 60 x 40 x 20 cm). As the volume weight of 64kg is higher than the actual weight (45.00kg) the 64 kg are calculated as the freight weight.

You multiply:
8 boxes x 60 x 40 x 20cm = 384,000 cm3
You divide: 384,000 cm3 by 6000 = 64 kg volume weight

Type of transport Volume calculation
Air frieght 1 m³ = 167 kg
Truck 1 m³ = 333 kg
Sea freight 1 m³ = 1,000 kg

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:16 pm

[quote="Mr. kay"]Can some one please tell me how to measure cbm??? used for box sizes in inches as well as cms??? For eg what would be the cbm of box sized in L=24 W=36, H=24. in cms... how would i figure out the cbm to this...[/quote]

Postby bensonsales@aol.com » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:19 pm

15cm 16cmx20cm :D :)
bensonsales@aol.com

Postby Unishippers » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:42 pm

how do i convert from a CBM to dims in inches?
My CBM is 8.6
Unishippers

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Calculating things

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions