Cooking, density

You are welcome to suggest new categories, units and conversion calculators to be added to Convert-Me.Com
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Cooking, density

Postby Engbert » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:53 am

I am just getting started with a bread machine, and like to convert recipes to metric weight from cups and tespoons, etc. I have found convert-me very useful to make my own conversion tables in a spreadsheet.

The final column in my table for each food is density, calculated from one of your volumes in ml and weight in grams. From this I can convert individual recipes from cook books easily.

However, it would all be much easier if you would just show a table of foods with their densities. Then it would be easier to convert any volume, be it a bushel or a peck, into a weight.

It could even just be shown in your list of foods below the calculator - Water (1), Strawberries (0.64), Oil, Olive (0.91). Then there would be no need for your user to enter anything into boxes.
Engbert

Re: Cooking, density

Postby Dirtman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:46 am

Density is already there, although it isn't labeled as such.

Find a food product, such as olive oil. Enter 1 on the line adjacent to liter and click calculate. As specific gravity can be expressed as kg/L, the density is equal to kilograms.
Dirtman
Expert

Postby ght80 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:48 pm

I was just looking for a way to find densities of differnt baking products. Thanks for this.
ght80

Postby robertR0931 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Were you able to find what you were looking for? I just got a new bread machine and saw your post so thought I would ask you if the converter on this site adequately worked for you or if you had to go to another. If you went to another would you care to share it so that I can check it out?
robertR0931

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Suggestions

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions