International Units To Units (i.e. for Insulin)????

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

International Units To Units (i.e. for Insulin)????

Postby TheCommish » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:30 pm

Is there an ACTUAL formula to convery IU (International Units) to Units (U)? Such as with a person who takes Insulin. If they take 10 Units is that also considered IU's? and with any other injectable Drugs or IV Medications that are measured in UNITS, are actually being measured in International Units (IU's)? Thanks
TheCommish

Re: International Units To Units (i.e. for Insulin)????

Postby Knight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:38 pm

TheCommish wrote:Is there an ACTUAL formula to convery IU (International Units) to Units (U)? Such as with a person who takes Insulin. If they take 10 Units is that also considered IU's? and with any other injectable Drugs or IV Medications that are measured in UNITS, are actually being measured in International Units (IU's)? Thanks

IU's are perhaps the most confusing "Standard" ever created.

An international unit (IU) is an internationally accepted amount of a substance. This type of measure is used for the fat-soluble vitamins (such as vitamins A, D and E) and certain hormones, enzymes, and biologicals (such as vaccines).

The definition of an international unit (IU) is generally arbitrary, technical, and eminently forgettable. For example, an IU of vitamin E is the specific biological activity of 0.671 milligrams of d-alpha-tocopherol. Nonetheless, most IUs are quite handy and helpful in use as a means of standardizing measures, even though the measure only applys to that substance.

In your case, an IU of insulin has no relationship whatsoever to an IU of vitamin E.

All international units are officially defined by the International Conference for Unification of Formulae
Knight
Expert

fine, but again the question

Postby new guy » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:26 am

That piece of information is good, but still doesn't answer the Commish's question (which also happens to be mine). Is U = IU, or is there a way to convert one to the other? eg. is ALT: 40 U/ml = ALT: 40 IU/ml. I don't think the Commish was trying to compare insulin to vitamins :)
new guy

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions