Converting decibels to PSI

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Converting decibels to PSI

Postby Justin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:01 pm

How can I convert decibels to pressure units, such as PSI, or vice versa? I've seen formulas such as dB = 10*log (P/Pref) or 20*log(V/Vref). Is this correct? How do I know what the reference P is? Thanks for your help!
Justin

Re: Converting decibels to PSI

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:56 pm

Justin wrote:How can I convert decibels to pressure units, such as PSI, or vice versa? I've seen formulas such as dB = 10*log (P/Pref) or 20*log(V/Vref). Is this correct? How do I know what the reference P is? Thanks for your help!

If P is power, the 10*log form is correct. However if P is pressure, db = 20*log(P/Pref) and Pref is 20 uPa (micropascals, I can't make a "mu" here). The assumption is that P is an rms pressure value, any static (dc) pressure is ignored. A 10 dB increase is always 10X in power or energy, but power is proportional to power, or to the square of voltage or pressure. That is where the factors of 10 or 20 come from.

Note that 20 Pa is 120 dB, painfully loud, while static atmospheric pressure is 101.325 kPa.

http://www.eie.fceia.unr.edu.ar/~acusti ... undlev.htm

For electrical signals, you have to find a reference to what the reference level is, but 1 mW of power (frequently into 600 ohms), or 1 V are common ones.

Postby Justin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:14 am

Thanks, Guest! That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Very much appreciated.
Justin

Pa to dB

Postby Student » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:48 am

i am doing a science fair project and am wondering how to convert sound pressure(Pa) into decibels(dB). can anyone give a answer please
Student

Postby Guest » Wed May 16, 2012 12:44 am

Use this equation:

dB = 20*log( a/b )

where

a = the measured sound level in Pascals
b = 2*10^-5

to test; use a = 2 Pascals and you should get 100 dB

Postby Teacher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:01 am

Guest wrote:
Justin wrote:How can I convert decibels to pressure units, such as PSI, or vice versa? I've seen formulas such as dB = 10*log (P/Pref) or 20*log(V/Vref). Is this correct? How do I know what the reference P is? Thanks for your help!

If P is power, the 10*log form is correct. However if P is pressure, db = 20*log(P/Pref) and Pref is 20 uPa (micropascals, I can't make a "mu" here). The assumption is that P is an rms pressure value, any static (dc) pressure is ignored. A 10 dB increase is always 10X in power or energy, but power is proportional to power, or to the square of voltage or pressure. That is where the factors of 10 or 20 come from.

Note that 20 Pa is 120 dB, painfully loud, while static atmospheric pressure is 101.325 kPa.

<url snipped>

For electrical signals, you have to find a reference to what the reference level is, but 1 mW of power (frequently into 600 ohms), or 1 V are common ones.

-----
Nice response, however, the original question asked how to convert dB to PSI. That can be done as follows:

Knowns:
20 Pascals = 120 dB (as define above)
1 psi = 6894.757 Pascals

Therefore:
120 dB / 20 Pa = 6 dB / Pascal
6 dB / Pa * 6894.757 Pa /1 psi = 6 * 6894.757 * (dB / 1 Psi) = 41,368.542 dB / 1 psi
Note: This ratio should allow you to see that it takes a lot of dBs (sound pressure) to equal 1 psi (i.e. pressure evenly distributed over 1 square inch). That works out to be about 1 dB per 124.881645 square microns.

So, if dB is known & you want to convert to psi, then it can easily be computed as follows:
"120 dB = how many psi?"

120 dB * ( 1 psi / 41,368.542 dB = 120 / 41,368.542 = approximately 0.0029 psi
Teacher

Postby Student » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 am

The conversion supplied by "teacher" above is only good for exactly 120db because of the logarithmic scale... The calcs using the logarythmic equation must be performed in si units and then converted afterward.
Student

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions