convert water PSI to air PSI

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

convert water PSI to air PSI

Postby Brainless » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:17 am

lost in boise i am lol im having a hard time getting a straight answer on this ? i have im trying to convert water PSI to air PSI. here is what i am doing i have a 36inch ductual iron pipe, i have had it to 150 PSI with water in it ,so i guess and i got a slow leak so my ? is im going to test it again with air so what would be the right PSI with air to be around the same or is there a conversion chart i could get or look at to help me or pick your brains for my answer all the engineers wont give me a answer or at least a straight one so plz help he out thank u guyz and gals for your time for even reading this plz any help is helpful ty :idea:
Brainless

Re: convert water PSI to air PSI

Postby Knight » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:31 pm

Brainless wrote:lost in boise i am lol im having a hard time getting a straight answer on this ? i have im trying to convert water PSI to air PSI. here is what i am doing i have a 36inch ductual iron pipe, i have had it to 150 PSI with water in it ,so i guess and i got a slow leak so my ? is im going to test it again with air so what would be the right PSI with air to be around the same or is there a conversion chart i could get or look at to help me or pick your brains for my answer all the engineers wont give me a answer or at least a straight one so plz help he out thank u guyz and gals for your time for even reading this plz any help is helpful ty :idea:
There is no difference between 150 Lbs/in² of water and 150 Lbs/in² of air. Pressure is pressure.

Any diffrences you might find in the leak rates will depend on several other factors, including, but not limited to: 1) Water is not compressible. 2) Air has a lower molecular size, hence can escape more readilly through smaller holes. It's easier to make something water-tight than it is to make it airtight.[/list]
Knight
Expert

Postby Brainless » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:51 am

so 150 Psi of water in a 36 in. pipe is the same as 150 Psi of compressed air ? i guess im confused cuase we will pump the pipe with water to 150 Psi and when we test with air we only pressure it up to only 5 Psi of compressed air, maybe my head is full of air lol :roll: :shock:
Brainless

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions