converting legal land ldescription to latitude/longitude

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

converting legal land ldescription to latitude/longitude

Postby Candi » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:31 am

Does anyone know of a program out there that can help me convert a township and/or range to latitude and/or longitude?

I am in Canada, so I require the info. for north of the 49th parallel - all I have been able to find thus far is programs for the States.

Any ideas everyone?
Candi
Candi

Re: converting legal land ldescription to latitude/longitude

Postby Knight » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:25 pm

Candi wrote:Does anyone know of a program out there that can help me convert a township and/or range to latitude and/or longitude?

I am in Canada, so I require the info. for north of the 49th parallel - all I have been able to find thus far is programs for the States.

Any ideas everyone?
Candi
I did a search, as I'm sure you also did, and could only find programs designed for US usage. You might check with a suveyor in your area, who may be able to give you some help.
Knight
Expert

Help with converting longitude and latitide to feet

Postby bear River Fish » Fri May 06, 2005 5:21 am

We are trying to "survey" some property and put in corners of the property's parcels. We have a GPS with +/- 15-20ft error range.....that's ok with us...we just can't figure out how to consistently do the math to get our coordinates correct on land so we can flag the lot line and corners.

Anyone know how to do this?

thanks
bear River Fish

Re: converting legal land ldescription to latitude/longitude

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:45 am

Candi wrote:Does anyone know of a program out there that can help me convert a township and/or range to latitude and/or longitude?

Any ideas everyone?
Candi

Try Mapcon

convert land survey to GPS

Postby paul » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:01 pm

I have same problem to find and mark cornors on a one eighth section [1/4 mile] Need to convert certain degrees on survey and calculate new line or cornor to find with GPS . + - 20 feet.
paul

Postby taegeuk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:44 am

program is called geo (Geographic Utilities) it will convert to canadfian LSD's
taegeuk

Re: convert land survey to GPS

Postby Dirtman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:35 am

paul wrote:I have same problem to find and mark cornors on a one eighth section [1/4 mile] Need to convert certain degrees on survey and calculate new line or cornor to find with GPS . + - 20 feet.

The degrees you're looking at on the survey plat are probably bearings and distances. Latitude and longitude are not usually given on a survey plat.

Save yourself a lot of headaches (and depending on exactly what you're wanting to do, maybe a court action) and contact the surveyor designated on the plat. Ask if they can give you that information. Because of legal ramifications, don't be surprised if they suggest you resurvey your property.

Another survey really isn't a bad idea as you need to know exactly where your corners and property lines are, for obvious reasons.
Dirtman
Expert

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions