mass - energy

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

mass - energy

Postby CNG » Thu May 11, 2006 4:15 am

I'm looking for a conversion factor for CCF (100 cubic feet) and 1 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent).

My understanding is that one is an energy measure and the other a physical measure.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

CNG
CNG

Re: mass - energy

Postby Guest » Thu May 11, 2006 5:30 am

CNG wrote:I'm looking for a conversion factor for CCF (100 cubic feet) and 1 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent).

My understanding is that one is an energy measure and the other a physical measure.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

CNG

1 GGE is the amount of any other fuel that has an energy content equal to one gallon of gasoline. Unfortunately gasoline is a blend of many different hydrocarbons and doesn't have a precise energy content. It is somewhere around 115,000 - 120,000 BTU per gallon, and different authors may give (slightly) different figures for what constitutes a GGE.

Natural gas is measured in standard cubic feet, or hundreds of cubic feet (CCF). It runs 950-1050 BTU per cubic feet. So somewhere around 1.17 CCF = 1 GGE, but it will depend (a little) on both the natural gas and the gasoline.

Note the natural gas is measured at standard temperature and pressure. In automotive applications, it is compressed to VERY high pressure, around 5000 psi, and occupies much less space. At that pressure, ideal gas law is pretty far off. You need to use compressibility factor, Van Der Waal's equation or some other more realistic state equation for pressure, volume, temperature relationships.

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions