Three different scales on a single tape measure

Questions and answers on how to convert things from one unit or system to another
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Three different scales on a single tape measure

Postby woodworker! » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:32 am

I have an antique tape measure that has a common scale in feet on the front, for a full length of 35 feet.
The interesting part of this tape measure is the etched numbers, scales and words. There are two scales on the front of the tape, and one on the back. The bottom edge of the front is in feet, with 12 inches in each foot. The top edge of the front has a different scale, and the back has a third scale. These scales are as follows:
--Bottom front edge: 0-35 feet, marked in feet, inches and 16ths of inches
--Top front edge: 0-15, marked in 16 sub-units each, and 16 sub-sub units of measure
--Back of tape:0-50, marked in 50 units of 10 sub-units each , and 10 sub-sub units of measure

Each of these last two scales ends exactly at the 35 foot length on the bottom front edge.

The tape measure is in a leather case marked Royal Tape Leather Case with a Star of David on front and back. The words etched on each scale on the tape are not in English but may be Cyrillic or Greek. Any idea what these last two scales might be? I did not find anything that seemed to exactly match these relationships to the common foot.

Woodworker!
:?:
woodworker!

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to How to convert?

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions